fun a little change lets make a BLT with Creamy Avocado Spread. I am always doing things like this because I do not want to get set in a pattern of eating the same thing every time.
When it comes down to it, most sandwich “recipes” are actually just templates because there are so many options available in terms of bread, cheese, meat, vegetables and condiments you can use.
However, when it comes to the much-loved bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT), any purist
will tell you that there is one “true” way to make and enjoy their beloved sandwich:
super soft white bread, sourdough bread, iceberg lettuce, Boston Bibb lettuce, mayonnaise (and lots of it), plus the requisite trifecta of sandwich-y goodness for which it is named.
A little boring? Most definitely.
To liven things up a bit, the “recipe” below takes a couple liberties with this tried-and-true classic. Super soft white bread is swapped out for a delicious sourdough, and plain mayonnaise is replaced with a rich and creamy avocado spread. Read on for details!
Makes 2 sandwiches, which has me covered, anyone else want one they better speak up because I am never sure that second one will last very long..Not that I would eat two of these beauties, but one and a half isn’t out of the question. A good BLT with Creamy Avocado Spread, has a lot of the things I don’t eat as a rule but love. Starting with the Sour dough bread. I was raised in the San Francisco Bay area and weaned on extra sour – sour dough bread. Then there are the vine ripe heirloom tomatoes, I need to be careful not to eat too many of those before I make the sandwiches. As for the bacon, I get extra, extra thick sliced bacon because I cook it on the grill. And yes, it is a very fast thing and you need long tongs because as the fat melts, you get flame-ups . But It does crisp up nicely without being over done. So, Let’s get started……..
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 T. melted farm fresh sweet butter
- 8 leaves Boston Bibb lettuce
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes (red and yellow if you can find them)
- 6 slices of cooked thick sliced bacon (not too crispy)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Avocado Spread Ingredients:
- 1 ripe avocado, skin removed and seeded, cut into small chunks
- ½ cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 ½ T. fresh lime juice (approximately ½ lime)
- 1 ½ t. ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- For the avocado spread, place the avocado, Greek yogurt, and garlic in a glass bowl and combine thoroughly with a fork. It is okay to leave some small chunks of avocado in the mixture. Add the lime juice and cumin, then stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let sit for approximately 30 minutes to give the flavors a chance to meld. Adjust seasonings a final time before adding to the sandwich.
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with melted butter. Heat grill pan over medium-high heat and place bread, buttered side down, on pan. Apply light pressure to each slice with a spatula, being careful.
- Serve the avocado spread in a bowl and place the other items on platters. Let everyone assemble their own sandwich.
When we are in Wisconsin and the corn and tomatoes are ready to be harvested, we always get a few friends together and serve BLT with Creamy Avocado Spread Sandwiches and grilled sweet corn and cold watermelon. There are usually around 20 people and I
So there you have it, a great sandwich and a pretty good party idea to go along with it, so start planning today. You might want to make a couple before then. You can call it research. Have fun.
We hope you try a BLT with Creamy Avocado Spread Sandwich and that you will rate it and leave a comment in the area below the article to let us know what you think of it.
Sign up on the right side of the article for our newsletter and like my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ChefWilliamOnline You will receive the new recipes as we post them and you will help us reach our goal of 500 likes on our Facebook page. We have some good recipes and other healthy living ideas we would love to share with you.